As we get closer to opening night of Bay Area premiere of Heathers: The Musical, we will be introducing you to our amazingly talented cast. Each week pop on by to meet some of the faces you’ll see on the first day of senior year at Westerberg High!
We’re thrilled to welcome Mischa Stephens back to Ray of Light after playing Jan-the-Wise in Yeast Nation last fall. He’s also recently appeared as Jean Valjean in Les Miserables (Tri-Valley Rep and SBMT), Jesus in Jesus Christ Superstar (WVLO), Motel in Fiddler on the Roof (WCP), and Houdini in Ragtime (SBMT).
Join us as we learn a little more about Mischa, aka Ram’s Dad/Big Bud/ Coach Ripper:
1. Mischa is an Australian citizen, which makes being a double agent WAY easier. NSA, you can stop reading this now. Seriously, please stop, we can hear you breathing and it’s very distracting.
2. Mischa used to work at Google, which isn’t really that interesting anymore since the guy sitting next to you right now probably works there. Hi, Frank!
3. In 2006, Mischa dressed up like Borat to go see the Borat movie. People lined up for selfies and autographs thinking he was Sacha Baron Cohen. He has not grown a mustache since.
4. He loves the classic BBC sitcom Fawlty Towers so much that he adapted an episode for the stage and directed it in a blackbox theater on a shoestring budget of $50. If you haven’t seen this show and you’re looking for a cheap way to give yourself a nervous breakdown (from laughter…probably), it is on Netflix. Go watch it now.
5. Mischa’s first role was Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof when he was 15. The rest of the cast was between 10 and 13 years old, so it made sense. Very adorable sense. And no, you cannot see the DVD, it is locked in a vault guarded by falcons with lasers. Very adorable lasers.
Don’t miss Mischa in Heathers this May! Heathers: The Musical runs from May 22nd through June 13th at the Victoria Theatre. Tickets are available at Rayoflighttheatre.com/Heathers.